Monday, March 21, 2011

Team A - "Rider"

The last unit song from A3 has a special, important meaning. I'll be glad if you read these lyrics carefully.

"Rider"
(from Team A 3rd stage "Dareka no tame ni")
Komatani Hitomi, Watanabe Shiho, Orii Ayumi, Hoshino Michiru, Sato Yukari, Kawasaki Nozomi, Ohe Tomomi, Urano Kazumi, Tojima Hana

words: Akimoto Yasushi
music: Sakai Mikio
point of view: female
theme: allegory/story
original lyrics


listen to Rider on youtube

I was worried
'Cause I haven't seen you around recently
I remember your smile,
Warmer than anyone else's...
I was informed
That you moved to a faraway town
I would've liked
To say at least goodbye

Where are you running to
On your bike
Through the wind?
Is the sky clear over there?

I miss you!

Yes!
I won't forget you...
In that half-empty square
You sat down on the bench
And always listened to me sing
Yes!
I won't forget our meeting...
It happened back in December
But it feels like yesterday to me
Time flies, doesn't it?

Even if I can't meet you anymore,
I won't be sad and I'll sing
I'm sure that that's what you,
Who are living somewhere, wish, too
Yes, even now,
I feel as if you could appear suddenly
Saying "I'm late"
On your usual bench...

You stopped your bike
On the corner of my heart
And you're still watching me from somewhere
Even if it starts raining...

Remember!

You!
Even when I feel crushed
I will dream for you, too,
So please cheer me louder than anyone else
You!
When I feel crushed
I'll close my eyes and remember
The sight of you clapping your hands on time
Is my eternal ally

I miss you!

Yes!
I won't forget you...
In that half-empty square
You sat down on the bench
And always listened to me sing
Yes!
I won't forget our meeting...
It happened back in December
But it feels like yesterday to me
Time flies, doesn't it?

Comment
This is a special song, showing once again the tight bond that AKB (used to?) have with their fans. (This is a true story.)

There was a fan who had followed AKB at the theatre since their very first days in 2005, when they were still nameless, struggling idols. He was a regular, attending shows as much as he could; a nice guy, loved by the other fans and recognized by the members. They used to call him Rider-san, because he used to drive a motorbike.
Unfortunately, at the end of 2006, he suddenly fell ill and passed away. The girls got worried cause they couldn't see him around anymore; when they heard he had passed away, they were shocked and sad. Therefore, Akimoto decided to dedicate a song of Team A's new stage to this loyal fan who wasn't in this world anymore.

The frontgirls for this unit, Komatani Hitomi and Watanabe Shiho (both now graduated), were Rider-san's oshimen. When they sing our meeting happened back in December they mean, of course, the AKB Theatre opening on December 8th 2005. The benches are the theatre seats (which used to be actually long benches), in the half-empty square, the theatre that for the first times was nowhere near sold out.

I think this is a wonderful tribute to one of the first people who supported AKB since their birth, and despite sounding like a cheerful song, after knowing the story behind it, "Rider" never fails to bring tears to my eyes.
(On a side note: exactly because of this song's special meaning, when NMB48 announced their first stage would be "Dareka no tame ni", many fans hoped they wouldn't sing this song. They do perform it, led by Jonishi Kei and Matsuda Shiori, but who saw N1 live assured they sing it pouring a lot of feeling into the song and making justice to its meaning.)

3 comments:

  1. Sorry I'm late in commenting, I didn't see this until now :fp:

    Thanks for posting this, Rider-san's story is important to some of stage48's Japanese friends so I feel it should be told to as many people as possible. It shows the real heart of AKB48, that there is real depth beyond silly songs and bikinis.

    Just thinking about the story always makes me want to cry ;_;

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for translating this!

    I love this song after I read this translation. Taken I wasn't really into A3.

    ReplyDelete
  3. hey guys. entrem num blog de tablatures and guitar riffs of you favorite artists como janne da arc, y o u , AKB48, JpMusic e muito mais. Please Check www.dwguitar.blogspot.com. Thanks

    ReplyDelete