Monday, November 15, 2010

Team B - "Kuchi utsushi no chocolate"

I don't know why of all songs I chose "Kuchi utsushi~" as my first unit song post, seeing that there are girls I like much more in teams I like much more. But after all, this blog is about songs and lyrics, not girls... And I love this song to bits.


"Kuchi utsushi no chocolate" (Mouth-to-mouth chocolate)
(from Team B 4th stage "Idol no yoake")
Team B (Kashiwagi Yuki [centre], Ota Aika, Hirajima Natsumi)

words: Akimoto Yasushi
music: Funta
point of view: female first person, female language
theme: sexy song
original lyrics


listen to Kuchi utsushi no chocolate on youtube

Pass chocolate from your mouth to mine
The usual kiss is boring
Twist it in forcefully...
Melt the chocolate with your tongue
I want to lick your love
Sticking our lips out...
We make a disgusting noise

We're free not to care about people looking, right?
If someone watches us I just become more daring
I climb on your lap in the middle of the open café
I'm a cute girl just like "Betty Blue"

Loving each other under the blue sky
Feels better than being naked

Pass chocolate from your mouth to mine
Embrace me from the side
As to kiss me deeply...
Chocolate, your bittersweet poison
Tastes so good
It'd be a shame to close my eyes
I want to trouble you as much as I can

I just want to be honest with my feelings
All human beings in the end can become animals
Even if I spill my cocoa cup
And it makes a stain on my uniform
I don't care about it
What's important is only the present

I can't even hear the sound of the helicopters
Flying above us
That's what love is

Pass chocolate from your mouth to mine
The usual kiss is boring
Twist it in forcefully...
Melt the chocolate with your tongue
I want to lick your love
Sticking our lips out...
We make a disgusting noise

From your mouth to mine
Embrace me from the side
As to kiss me deeply...
Chocolate, your bittersweet poison
Tastes so good
It'd be a shame to close my eyes
Your troubled face looks lovely, too

Comment
AKB48 has a few "naughty" songs, but I feel this is the naughtiest of them all because of both the literal meaning and the double meanings scattered through it. Add that the first person in this song is a high schooler (as the mention of the school uniform makes clear) and here's how "Kuchi utsushi~" is even more suggestive than songs with more risqué words and content.
Nonetheless, these lyrics are flawless in challenging a theme as delicate as the boldness of teenage and the first sexual fantasies. Teenage girls have as many of them as anyone else, and the chances of it being a daring high school girl's fantasy is very high. Looking at the literal meaning of these lyrics, the image of the girl boldly sitting on her embarassed boyfriend's lap and kissing him deeply just appears clearly in front of our eyes. Even details such as "Sticking our lips out / We make a disgusting noise" aren't avoided, giving the complete picture of the scene.

I am not going into detail about the blatantly clear double meanings associated with the words used especially in the chorus ("I want to lick your love", "Your bittersweet poison / Tastes so good"), which are not as important as the literal meaning but can't possibly be unintended, but there are two lines I would like to point out.

From the first verse: "I'm a cute girl just like "Betty Blue"". If you don't know who Betty Blue is, just by looking at these lyrics you're bound to think it's a cute cartoon character or something of that kind. It's actually a character from a French movie produced in the '80s. Betty is a beautiful, fragile, mentally disturbed young girl, whose insatiable love for the movie's male main character brings her to obsession and nervous breakdown. Not really "a cute girl" as one could expect from such a pretty, cartoonish name. And I trust Akimoto's culture enough to think this was fully intented.

Then, from the second verse: "Even if I spill my cocoa cup / And it makes a stain on my uniform / I don't care about it". The imagery is rather simple, but subtle: the stain on her school uniform means a stain on her "pureness" (let's not forget that high school girls are often idolized as a symbol of pureness).

These are the reasons why I say that having young girls such as Yuki (18 at the time), Nacchan (17) and Aika (only 14!) sing this song makes "Kuchi utsushi~" even naughtier than SDN48's more explicit songs.
I love it nonetheless. If possible, I love it even more for the lack of hypocrisy and the tongue-in-cheek tone of the whole song.

No comments:

Post a Comment